About Me

My photo
Thimphu, Thimphu, Bhutan
I am from Bhutan. Bhutan has some of the most pristine habitat and most beautiful birds in the world. I have been birding and exploring my country’s varied ecosystems now for over10 years. I have spent many days and weeks locating the best places to find the rare species including all of the difficult wren-babblers, laughing thrushes and other important species for Bhutan. I am also specializes in recording, and have a large library, including songs donated to Cornell University and xeno-canto. I have led many birding groups, and have long years experience finding and helping birders see their target species. I also have a good knowledge of our culture, and add this dimension to my tours based on the desires of my clients.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

White-bellied Heron in the Phochu River in Punakha! The White-bellied Heron is a very large heron standing about 4 feet tall. A magnificent bird! The White-bellied Heron is a bird in big trouble due to habitat loss. Bhutan is one of the few places in the world for its last refuge and there probably are less than 200 birds remaining in the world as per the International Birdlife. Sadly, this bird may be headed for extinction. We are very lucky to spot it on 17th April 2011although by this time they leave to their summer habitat. We finished our 21 days birding tour with 315 species seen and 15 heard. On the last day of our birding we headed to Chelela pass 3800m. We are gifted with the 6 Himalayan Monals. Best thing was, we all had very good views of male Monal in sun, what a bird. Like people say it is the bird with 7 different colors. Other birds of the day were Lammerger, Eurasian Woodcock, Blood Pheasant and few high altitude Finches.

No comments: